Two Examples of Small Fuzzy Galaxies Gathered Together in the Sky and Vibing With a Hillbilly

Let's see your reports!
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Two Examples of Small Fuzzy Galaxies Gathered Together in the Sky and Vibing With a Hillbilly

Post by bladekeeper »

19 January 2020

Well, the night of the 19th. Technically early morning on the 20th.

A couple of newly minted supernovae at the moment that should be visible. The only problem is that the host galaxies, in this case, NGC 4636 in Coma Berenices and M100 in Virgo, are presently rising late at night and into the wee hours.

That also meant that it was going to be terribly cold out, forecast to be hovering around 10° F. That coupled with the light but stiff breeze that was pushing the air around, I was expecting some decent frigidity.

About 2200 hrs. I commenced my setting up. I brought out the AD12 dobsonian and set it up on my usual spot in the backyard. I also selected for eyepieces the ES 82° 18mm, 14mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, and BCO 10mm. I got my observing chair arranged and my little folding table set out. Ready to go.

Unfortunately, my two targets for the night would not be collectively above 30° in altitude until 0200 hrs. so I had some time to kill.

Ah, what the heck. Even though astrophotography literally pisses me off, I thought I might as well see if I can grab a snap or two of these SNe while I was trying to see them visually.

I pulled out the AVX and got that plunked down in my polar alignment divots. Back insides, I pulled the SV102T out of its case, added extension tubes and the ASI294MC Pro, saddled the guide scope and ASI120MM-S, then toted that arrangement out to the AVX. Once balanced, I returned inside for my power source and bag o’ cabling. Got all that strung up like a Christmas tree. Brought out the “yard laptop” and connected that. Polar Alignment was done and focus achieved.

Now I had three and a half hours to kill. Back inside to study some imagery on the positions of the SNe in relation to their host galaxies.

It was a bit of a struggle waiting it out but 0200 hrs. finally arrived. I suited up in my insulated coveralls, hat, and gloves and ventured forth. Nice and quiet out. I half expected the sky to be cloudy but it uncharacteristically remained clear. Huh.

Over at the AVX, I set up a sequence of 60-second exposures on NGC 4636 and hit the go button. The mount slewed, the software plate solved, guiding and capture commenced. Satisfied that was going on its own, I moved over to the dob and loaded the 18mm into the focuser and settled in to locate this galaxy manually.

Studying my star chart, I figured the best spot to dive in to be naked-eye star δ Virginis, aka Auva. I leaned over to sight the star in my Telrad and realized my Telrad was missing. Dang it.

I went to the shed and popped open the accessory case and found no Telrad. Back inside to look in my box of goodies in there. No Telrad. What the heck, man? Back out to the shed, I poked around a bit. I finally opened the wooden case that houses the Unitron Model 142 and there was my Telrad. Why the hell was my Telrad in that case?

Telrad installed and turned on, I was finally able to get δ Virginis sighted. Moving to the RACI, I skipped a degree southwest to 37 Virginis, then another degree westward to 35 Virginis. Pausing here, I moved to the 18mm eyepiece and worked my way southward about a degree and a half and spotted my galaxy.

I studied the galaxy for a bit. The view seemed a bit choked off and dim. It has been a while since I’ve gone galaxy hunting and I was likely not quite as dark adapted as I needed to be. And I’m sure the transparency could have been better. I have observed this particular galaxy before about four and a half years ago while pursuing the Herschel 400 list.

I also had an image of the supernova’s (SN2020ue) placement relative to the galaxy pulled up on my iPhone. And I trashed my dark adaptation looking at that. Dang it. I dimmed my phone all the way down and henceforth kept my observing eye closed and studied the image with my other eye.

Back to the scope, I swapped out the 18mm for the 11mm and dove back in. I kept noticing a brighter point source of light just eastward of the core but dismissed it as a foreground star. I was unable to pick up some of the smaller stars near the SN’s position in the image on my phone. I swapped out for the BCO 10mm and with this eyepiece, I was getting intermittent flashes of a couple of these dimmer stars.

I worked at it for about a half-hour. The breeze was really knifing the cold air into me. Getting chilled and frustrated, I decided to go inside for a warmup.

Once inside, I got on the computer and studied some images online. Well, darn. That brighter point source I was plainly seeing appears to be the supernova!

Back outside, I re-acquired my target and examined my point source again. Yep, that’d be the supernova. Cool. That marks my third one observed.

Satisfied with that, I went over to the yard laptop to check on my capture sequence (observing eye closed). 21 frames in the can and working on the 22nd. Good enough. I aborted my sequence and set up another one for M100, the host of SN2020oi. I kicked that off and moved back over to the dob.

To get to M100, I sighted β Leonis (Denebola) in the Telrad and moved to the RACI. I jumped northward about 2° to star o Leonis, and then almost 4° to 3 Comae Berenices. From 3 Com, I jumped a little over 2° to 6 Comae Berenices. Moving to the now installed 18mm, I followed a line from 6 Com through HR 4676 to HD 107415 and straight on another half a degree to reach M100.

I was expecting a more in-your-face galaxy compared to NGC 4636, though the last time I observed this galaxy was in April of 2018 with an 80mm refractor. M100 was not more in-your-face. Maybe slightly so. It was larger though.

I swapped eyepieces for the 11mm. The cold was really getting to me at this point and making it rather difficult to get in there and study/concentrate on the galaxy. I gave it my best shot and sat on it for another twenty minutes. I couldn’t really get the core of the galaxy to stand out appreciably. Since the SN was about 4” from the core, I was not really able to discern either core or SN. After a bit more time, I decided enough was enough as I was almost painfully cold.

Checking on the capture sequence, I was about 20 frames in, so I also called that good enough and shut things down. I really need to capture some dark frames but no way was I gonna wait around in the cold for another fifteen minutes while that was happening. I packed up my toys and went back inside.

So that was my night. One hit and one miss.

Luckily, I had some fairly recent 60-second dark frames already stored so it was an easy matter of running off some new flats and dark flats to process my two images from the warmth of the house. Got those all stacked and cranked through the StarTools wringer.

Here is the image of NGC 4636 with SN2020ue marked:
20200120 02_08_35 SV102T NGC 4636 SN2020ue.jpg

And here is the image of M100 with the position of SN2020oi marked (I think). It is so close to the core that even in my not-especially-well-focused image it is hard to discern:
20200120 02_38_40 SV102T M100 SN2020oi.jpg

So that was my frigid early morning adventure. :)

That’s all I’ve got. Peace and clear skies, friends!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Two Examples of Small Fuzzy Galaxies Gathered Together in the Sky and Vibing With a Hillbilly

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Good for you. No such thing as a bad photon. :) Great job capturing with the 4" triplet. For imaging these SNs a large CAT would be nice. :whistle:
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Two Examples of Small Fuzzy Galaxies Gathered Together in the Sky and Vibing With a Hillbilly

Post by JayTee »

Okay, lovely images, really excellent work to show us those two new SNs, and I'm glad you could find all the pieces-parts necessary to give us those images. Nicely done.

Now on a separate, yet unrelated story of little significance: just last night I was having dinner with a couple of my Millenial children and the topic of Pink Floyd came up and I asked them if they were fans. The response was "we're HUGE fans, we listen to all their music." This really happened; I asked them what they thought of Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave and Grooving With A Pict off the Ummgumma album. They looked at me like I was speaking Martian (from Mars Attacks!) As it turns out, they knew nothing of PF prior to Dark Side Of The Moon. Needless to say, they are only "partial" fans.

Cheers,
JT

PS, Careful With That Axe Eugene!
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:53 am Good for you. No such thing as a bad photon. :) Great job capturing with the 4" triplet. For imaging these SNs a large CAT would be nice. :whistle:
Thanks, notFritz! Yeah, a big CAT would really do nicely with these SNe! I have a club friend with a 9.25". Hmm...

JayTee wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:01 am Okay, lovely images, really excellent work to show us those two new SNs, and I'm glad you could find all the pieces-parts necessary to give us those images. Nicely done.

Now on a separate, yet unrelated story of little significance: just last night I was having dinner with a couple of my Millenial children and the topic of Pink Floyd came up and I asked them if they were fans. The response was "were HUGE fans, we listen to all their music." This really happened; I asked them what they thought of Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave and Grooving With Pict off the Ummgumma album. They looked at me like I was speaking Martian (from Mars Attacks!) As it turns out, they knew nothing of PF prior to Dark Side Of The Moon. Needless to say, they are only "partial" fans.

Cheers,
JT
Thanks, JT!

Ah, that pleases me to no end that you caught my title reference! :D

My 17-year-old son is also a "huge" Pink Floyd fan. And just like your kids not much familiarity with the pre-Dark Side stuff. I was chuckling to him about my "clever" thread title and he'd not yet listened to Ummagumma nor even Atom Hear Mother and the others! He promises to rectify that. Animals is his favorite, apparently. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

bladekeeper wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:09 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:53 am Good for you. No such thing as a bad photon. :) Great job capturing with the 4" triplet. For imaging these SNs a large CAT would be nice. :whistle:
Thanks, notFritz! Yeah, a big CAT would really do nicely with these SNe! I have a club friend with a 9.25". Hmm...
You know I'm causing trouble right? Why not get your own C11? :duck:

JayTee wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:01 am Okay, lovely images, really excellent work to show us those two new SNs, and I'm glad you could find all the pieces-parts necessary to give us those images. Nicely done.

Now on a separate, yet unrelated story of little significance: just last night I was having dinner with a couple of my Millenial children and the topic of Pink Floyd came up and I asked them if they were fans. The response was "were HUGE fans, we listen to all their music." This really happened; I asked them what they thought of Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave and Grooving With Pict off the Ummgumma album. They looked at me like I was speaking Martian (from Mars Attacks!) As it turns out, they knew nothing of PF prior to Dark Side Of The Moon. Needless to say, they are only "partial" fans.

Cheers,
JT
Thanks, JT!

Ah, that pleases me to no end that you caught my title reference! :D

My 17-year-old son is also a "huge" Pink Floyd fan. And just like your kids not much familiarity with the pre-Dark Side stuff. I was chuckling to him about my "clever" thread title and he'd not yet listened to Ummagumma nor even Atom Hear Mother and the others! He promises to rectify that. Animals is his favorite, apparently. :lol:
You guys are fortunate to have kids that are partial fans. My late lamented cat Rocky was a music lover EXCEPT for Pink Floyd. I complained to my kids that he'd hide in the laundry room whenever I played them. MY kids responded, "well, then, he has better musical taste than you do!"

I am singed to this day by this wanton cruel burn. :oops: Not! ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

There you go partner! :) Well done on both images and yes I can discern SN2020oi in M100 in your image. Its tight of course but can make it out in the zoomed in view. You have it marked properly on the opposite side of the core (north) from the spindle galaxy you also captured, NGC 4312 to the south. I also see several other galaxies in there as well. BTW, you flipped your constellations - M100 is in Coma and NGC 4636 is in Virgo - but you knew that! :P

Apparently nothing froze and fell off, and you survived the ordeal. Getting old and observing in such temperatures ain't for ......., well you know the rest! :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:42 amYou know I'm causing trouble right? Why not get your own C11? :duck:

You guys are fortunate to have kids that are partial fans. My late lamented cat Rocky was a music lover EXCEPT for Pink Floyd. I complained to my kids that he'd hide in the laundry room whenever I played them. MY kids responded, "well, then, he has better musical taste than you do!"

:lol:

I have much spousal equity to build prior to future purchases. I would like to try an Edge version though, just for grins. :D

Too funny about Rocky hiding from Floyd! :lol:

kt4hx wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:57 am There you go partner! :) Well done on both images and yes I can discern SN2020oi in M100 in your image. Its tight of course but can make it out in the zoomed in view. You have it marked properly on the opposite side of the core (north) from the spindle galaxy you also captured, NGC 4312 to the south. I also see several other galaxies in there as well. BTW, you flipped your constellations - M100 is in Coma and NGC 4636 is in Virgo - but you knew that! :P

Apparently nothing froze and fell off, and you survived the ordeal. Getting old and observing in such temperatures ain't for ......., well you know the rest! :lol:
Dang, I can't believe I flipped the constellations! I should publish a deep sky guide! :lol:

Getting old and observing in such temperatures ain't for the pusillanimous? :D
Bryan

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

bladekeeper wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:04 am
kt4hx wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:57 am There you go partner! :) Well done on both images and yes I can discern SN2020oi in M100 in your image. Its tight of course but can make it out in the zoomed in view. You have it marked properly on the opposite side of the core (north) from the spindle galaxy you also captured, NGC 4312 to the south. I also see several other galaxies in there as well. BTW, you flipped your constellations - M100 is in Coma and NGC 4636 is in Virgo - but you knew that! :P

Dang, I can't believe I flipped the constellations! I should publish a deep sky guide! :lol:

Getting old and observing in such temperatures ain't for the pusillanimous? :D
You can rest assured if you do a deep sky guide I will stand ready with my red marker! :P

And yes, that derivative will do nicely! :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

MY kids responded, "well, then, he has better musical taste than you do!"
Hi nFA,
On the flip side of that is that even though my kids profess to being Pink Floyd fans, whenever they see me outside using a telescope they look at me like I'm mildly psychotic. So there's very little interest in telescopes from kids who've been exposed to them their whole lives.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Nice cold night...err, morning observing, Bryan!
Congrats on bagging the one of the SN’s and getting some great images to boot. I highly doubt my patience would be anywhere near yours to setup AP gear that early in the morning. :lol:

I just came in from a chilly session that was abbreviated by some high thin clouds that wouldn’t completely go away. I’m going hold off on typing up a report because I am intending on having my own go at those SN’s after a few hours of sleep. Fingers crossed! (That I don’t hit snooze on the alarm too many times :lol: )
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

bladekeeper wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:04 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:42 amYou know I'm causing trouble right? Why not get your own C11? :duck:

:lol:

I have much spousal equity to build prior to future purchases. I would like to try an Edge version though, just for grins. :D

Too funny about Rocky hiding from Floyd! :lol:
Well I am a fan of the Edge line for visual. But for planetary imaging I don't think it necessary. Damian Peach and others do really well without an edge. For small DSOs and SN shots? Yep. Galaxies are very nice in the Edge.
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

prowler75 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:15 am Nice cold night...err, morning observing, Bryan!
Congrats on bagging the one of the SN’s and getting some great images to boot. I highly doubt my patience would be anywhere near yours to setup AP gear that early in the morning. :lol:

I just came in from a chilly session that was abbreviated by some high thin clouds that wouldn’t completely go away. I’m going hold off on typing up a report because I am intending on having my own go at those SN’s after a few hours of sleep. Fingers crossed! (That I don’t hit snooze on the alarm too many times :lol: )
Thanks Craig! Best of luck with your own SN adventure! :)

Seems like everytime I've set an alarm to get up for observing I usually sleep right through it. :lol:

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:52 amWell I am a fan of the Edge line for visual. But for planetary imaging I don't think it necessary. Damian Peach and others do really well without an edge. For small DSOs and SN shots? Yep. Galaxies are very nice in the Edge.
I did have a go with an older C8 back at the beginning of October:

Image20191003 19_46_18_e11111111_ap18 by Bryan Gabbard, on Flickr

Image20191003 19_43_25_e11111111_ap40 by Bryan Gabbard, on Flickr
Bryan

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Bryan, love your title for this, and JT beat me to it. Grooving with a Pict, makes me think of REH and Conan :lol: I still have Ummagumma and Atom Hear Mother, complete with price tags; $2.79

Good catch on the SN, wow! Thanks for that pic; between my LP and poopy scopes, I don't stand a chance, and I'm glad you did! :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Thefatkitty wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:32 am Bryan, love your title for this, and JT beat me to it. Grooving with a Pict, makes me think of REH and Conan :lol: I still have Ummagumma and Atom Hear Mother, complete with price tags; $2.79

Good catch on the SN, wow! Thanks for that pic; between my LP and poopy scopes, I don't stand a chance, and I'm glad you did! :D

All the best,
Thanks Mark!

You've got the LPs? So awesome! :D

I'd be willing to bet a C80 could snap a pic of the NGC 4636 SN! :D
Bryan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent! I have enjoyed the narrative and the shots. No wonder you didn't managed SN in M100 with 12". It just sitting on top of the core.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Nice story!
Made me very curious about the SNe!
Gladly you photographed them. Nice shots too.
Thanks for report and this topic!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:53 am Excellent! I have enjoyed the narrative and the shots. No wonder you didn't managed SN in M100 with 12". It just sitting on top of the core.
Thanks, Andrey!

Yeah, I might have pulled off SN2020oi if it hadn't been so cold. Hard to relax when you are being stabbed repeatedly with daggers. :lol:
John Baars wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:24 am Nice story!
Made me very curious about the SNe!
Gladly you photographed them. Nice shots too.
Thanks for report and this topic!
Thank you John! :)
Bryan

pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Wow. Nice pix!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:03 pm Wow. Nice pix!
Thanks! :)
Bryan

10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

:text-thankyoublue: Nice work Bryan! The way you were pushing that 12” around reminded me of the old visual days! Excellent report my friend!
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.