First light for the Oberwerk 10x50 Ultra

Let's see your reports!
rocdoc
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

First light for the Oberwerk 10x50 Ultra

Post by rocdoc »

Finally received these, after some wait as they were out of stock. Impressive instrument out of the box, the beefiest, most solid-feeling instrument I own, but a good margin. They are also heavy. Very heavy when you hand-hold. I scoffed at that complaint, because when you read the numbers on a page you think "that's not that much weight". When you actually have to hold them, if you don't have elbow support, it's a different story. In addition to that, the eye cups have a funny design. They are fixed, short (the eye lenses are recessed), and made of a hard rubber. Lying on my back in the "zero gravity" chair, resting those on my orbital region, I ended up with significant discomfort. This seems to be a design drawback, at least for me. So, with all the above, I have to say that hand-held the experience was not necessarily and improvement over the 8x42 EDs. I did mount them on the (also new) Oberwerk 5000 head. That's a nice and smooth head (although the finish and visual impression could use some improvement; I'll post separately about this, had an extensive exchange with Kevin about it, he's aware of this problem). But the short length of the bino makes for a close-to-tripod position that is less than comfy.
OK, with all these ergonomic complaints (not really an instrument problem, more a match of tool to purpose problem), how about the image? This is actually excellent, and I hope I can solve the usability challenges, because image-wise these are an improvement over the other instruments I have or have used in the past in this range. Stars are generally pin-point, the focus is smooth but nicely tight to move, so it stays put. Some spiking is unavoidable on bright stars, but dimmer ones look "painted on", very nice. Good contrast, and a very bright image. The field is actually better in the periphery than the Sport ED, in spite of the absence of fancy ED glass!
It splits Albireo nicely, in spite of the difficulty keeping them perfectly still in hand. The Coat Hanger looks very nice. M29 was very quick to pick up as a direct vision nebulosity, and extended viewing starts to bring in tiny star points, in a now-you-see-it-now-you-don't fashion. The Dumbbell Nebula showed up as averted vision nebulosity South of 14 Vul. The colors seem good, but not as crisp and striking as in the Sport ED. The Garnet Star is clearly different from the bright neighbors. With Cassiopeia rising from the light-polluted horizon, I started hunting for some clusters there. I couldn't see M52, didn't even try Caroline's Rose, but NGC 129 was caught as an averted vision nebulosity, on the line between Caph and Navi, just North of HR 113.
All this was with some wisps of clouds darting in and out of the area (edges of Isaias), and later the glare of the just-past-full Moon washed everything out to the point that I packed it in.

So, overall: I think it's a very good instrument, that I need to figure out how to use better. I'll report further as I get it out more. Might be a good experience on the Farpoint parallelogram, and I'll likely only need one of the counterweights, to make the assembly relatively light.
Properly collimated cornea-lens-vitreous optical apparatus, projecting on retinal sensor slightly limited by deuteranomaly, feeding through stock optic nerves into functional primary cortex, processed through frequently misfiring and buggy integrative cortex.
Other instruments: Skyline 8" Dobsonian, on a dob pod; Celestron Omni XLT 120 w GSO crayford focuser and Meade 5000 diagonal on Stellarvue M2C mount and Meade LX70 tripod; Oberwerk Binos: 25x100 Deluxe IF on Benro tripod with Oberwerk 5000 head or Farpoint parallelogram; 10x50 Ultra, usually on 3 Legged Thing Punks Trent monopod with Dolica trigger grip head; 8x42 Sport ED hand held. Main EPs: ES 82º 24mm and 11mm, Celestron Luminos 19mm and 10mm, Meade UWA 14mm, Meade HD-60 6.5mm. Filters: UHC, 13%, blue. Finders: RACI, Telrad, RDF, reticle.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: First light for the Oberwerk 10x50 Ultra

Post by helicon »

Thanks for sharing the new bino experience [mention]rocdoc[/mention] - hope you can work out the kinks with regard to the eye cups and relief and the necessity to mount them. But it sounds like they provide excellent views.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the new addition to your binocular collection Rocdoc! 3.5 lb weight would be my concern to. It is heavier then my made in Japan Orion 15x70 and almost twice as heavy as my 10x50.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Great binoculars. Thanks for your report. As always with binos, It will show what it's worth if you put it on a tripod.
Congrats on your new instrument!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Very nice acquisition RD! Hope you get the binocular mounting issue sorted out - its too good quality-wise (and heavy) to be used handheld.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.