One day at a time - And observing session that worked

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Tailspin45
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

One day at a time - And observing session that worked

Post by Tailspin45 »

After several nights of trial and error, interspersed with inevitable weather scrubs, I finally had an observing session when everything seemed to come together. From previous adventures in astronomy, I knew the hobby was as much art as science, and that’s why I named the beginner’s series I’m writing One Day At A Time. You have to learn and remember a lot of little details, and practice helps. I certainly don't claim any special knowledge or experience. But the experience I do have comes from mistakes, and I hope others might be able to learn from mine.

An $80 Meade refractor arrived yesterday and I mounted it on El Cheapo, my $139 Orion reflector. Both are so-called rich field telescopes because 1) they cover a relatively big swath of sky, and 2) they're optically fast (f/5 and f/4, respectively) so they make capturing rich details in dim deep-sky objects possible with an inexpensive tripod and mount. Hours-long manually guided exposures are replaced by dozens even hundreds of seconds-long stacks of images, combined to show fine details. You certainly can get better detail with stacks of long exposures, but when trying to capture deep-sky objects with low-cost equipment, quick is good.

Each scope came with a tripod and mount, but for those bargain-basement Amazon Warehouse prices (you may find them literally for more or less what I paid), the accessories are essentially junk. The scopes themselves, surprising, are widely regarded as pretty good, even for the price. A good refractor such as the Takahashi 85mm, for comparison, is $3,850! My Meade Adventure Scope ($99 MSRP) certainly isn’t in the same class optically, but for 1/50th the price I can forgive a lot of aberrations.

IMG_1406.jpeg
Click to enlarge, click again to enhuge.

The weather last night was reasonably clear and dry so marine fog, coastal clouds, and dew weren’t an issue, for once.

I found a new spot on the patio to put the scope that had views of Polaris to the north (used for alignment) and Orion (to the south) my target. Two nights ago after trying to do an alignment but fussing with a balky mount for an hour, I found M42 had moved far enough that it was blocked by a beam that holds up the patio cover.

Last night, after setting the scope so it pointed toward where I knew Polaris would be (a little app told me so), after making sure both scopes and the finder all pointed to the same place, after leveling the scope, and after waiting for the sky to get dark, I found Polaris in the polar scope’s field of view. The iPhone app (Polar Scope Align Pro) showed me where Polaris should be on the polar scope’s rings, and I used the mechanical declination and right-ascension screws to put the star there. (Polaris isn’t exactly at the north pole and travels in a circle around it every 24 hours. The app tells you where on the circle it is for your location and time. It was at 4:30 on the ring last night. Twelve hours later it’s at 10:30, just like clockwork,

IMG_82630AB63599-1.jpeg

Next I used the mount’s GOTO computer to do a 3-star alignment using Sirius, Alioth, and Capella, each picked from a list offered by the program. The scope slewed to where it thought each star should be, I centered it using manual controls and an illuminated crosshair eyepiece. After completing the process I told the mount to go to Orion's Nebula, and there it was right in the middle of the scope’s field of view.

I enjoyed the view through both the refractor and reflector scopes with my Mark I, Mod 2 eyeballs, rediscovering that averted vision really does allow the more sensitive part of your eye to see things at night that you can’t see looking directly them.

But my goal was to get a decent image of M42 with a camera, so I cranked up SharpCap on my laptop and connected the Svbony SV305 CMOS camera. Using presets I’d saved from reports of other people’s success, I was momentarily stunned when I saw nothing. Then I remembered that I need to refocus when I mount the camera, and I need to buy a parfocal ring so my eyepiece is at the same focus distance as the camera.

And wow! I was delighted to see not just stars but nebulae! SharpCap went to work and started building stacks of images for me, a once I got the focus right a few results were pretty good, if I do say so myself.

I’ve spent the morning trying to find good, free software that will let me combine all the frames I collected, with different exposures, in hopes of pulling detail out of the bright center.

Meanwhile, here’s a quick and dirty look at the Great Nebula in Orion (M42). Lots more to learn, and lots more work to do to extract every bit of capability from my bargain-basement equipment.

IMG_1408.JPG
Tailspin Tommy
Mount: Skywatcher EQM-35 mount,
Scopes: Celestron Omni 102 XLT ƒ/10, Orion 4.5" ƒ/4 reflector, Meade 80mm ƒ/5 refractor
Cameras: Svbony SV-305, QHY5LII-M.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 595

TSS Awards Badges

Re: One day at a time - And observing session that worked

Post by helicon »

Not a bad result there - in fact very good for an initial effort. The stars have no trails. Hope to see more from you with this creative approach.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Good progress Tommy! What GoTo mount do you use?

Just a side comment. Takahashi is a ferrari of refractors. You can get a good quality APO/ED 80mm frac for a fraction of it's price. In fact my Onyx 80ED was exactly 1/10. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by NGC 1365 »

Thanks for sharing Tommy.
Ivan
Tailspin45
Mars Ambassador

Post by Tailspin45 »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:11 pm What GoTo mount do you use?
I knew the EQ-1 that came with El Cheapo, my bargain basement Orion StarBlast, would be barely usable. So I wasn't disappointed with it, I was buying the scope not the mount, after all. But I sure was frustrated by it.

So I followed the white rabbit down the hole and sprung for a SkyWatcher EQM-35 Pro. So far, I'm very satisfied despite an annoying undocumented "feature": if you tighten the thumbscrew that holds the RA setting circle, the axis binds and overpowers the motor and gears causing the tracking to jump.

SkyWatcher tech support was no help, and told me to send it back without making any effort to understand what I had tried to do to make it work. Fortunately, someone at Cloudy Nights had the same problem and figured out the solution, so my problem was solved.
Tailspin Tommy
Mount: Skywatcher EQM-35 mount,
Scopes: Celestron Omni 102 XLT ƒ/10, Orion 4.5" ƒ/4 reflector, Meade 80mm ƒ/5 refractor
Cameras: Svbony SV-305, QHY5LII-M.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Nice storyline and I too know the satisfaction of seeing that first nebula as more than a smudge. Look forward to reading more.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447